Biore UV Perfect Face Milk Vs. Bioderma Photoderm MAX Ultra-fluid


Oh sunscreen. Let me count the ways I love to slather you over myself. Well, just one way really but boy do I enjoy it!

It's only been the last year or so that I have really gotten into wearing a dedicated SPF for my face. Since becoming more interested in skincare, I have come to find that wearing sunscreen is really the best thing you can do for your skin. Wanna slow the aging process? Sunscreen. Wanna fade post-acne marks? Sunscreen? Wanna look mega greasy throughout the day? Sunscreen. Ah. I see.

So, I'm going to be reviewing and demonstrating the two sunscreens that I have in my stash at the moment, Biore UV Perfect Face Milk and Bioderma Photoderm MAX Ultra-fluid. These are both SPF 50 and were both chosen for very specific reasons. Let's start with the Biore.


Biore UV Perfect Face Milk SPF50 PA++++



This is an Asian sunscreen, and generally Asian sunscreens are seen as quite cosmetically elegant. By that I mean, they feel nicer and easier to apply and don't leave a white cast. I chose this one in particular as it is recommended as being particularly good for oily skin, leaving a matte finish. I buy this from ebay, as you can't really find it here in the UK, and you must be warned that there are a few different types of this sunscreen, with different PA levels. What the face milk is a PA level I hear you cry? Well, you may have heard of UVB and UVA rays. In basic terms, UVB rays cause burning and UVA causes aging (that's not what it stands for, it's just a handy way to remember it). If you want to read more about PPD levels then take a look at my recent post here. The version of this sunscreen that I buy is PA++++ which is the highest rating in Asian sunscreen with a PPD level of 16+.

What do I like about this sunscreen?
• It has a high SPF and relatively high PPD level
• It leaves no white cast on the skin
• The formulation spread very easily
• It sinks in very quickly
• It leaves my skin matte and is a great base for make up

What don't I like about this sunscreen?
• It's a small bottle (great for the handbag though!)
• It smells strongly of alcohol

Lets take a look!

It is recommended that 1/4 tsp is used for the face, and the same again for neck and chest. 





Get ready for my naked face guys!

 

And now after the application of the sunscreen.


Bam! I'm so impressed with the finish this sunscreen leaves. It feels really pleasant on the face and I feel that my face doesn't look shiny. I'm obviously super pale, so white cast isn't a big for me, but I feel that this sunscreen doesn't leave a cast.




Bioderma Photoderm MAX Ultra-fluid SPF 50+
 This is a European sunscreen, and typically European sunscreens are known for their high level of UVA protection. The reason for this, is that Europe treats its sunscreens as cosmetic products, whereas the US treats it sunscreens as over the counter drugs, which means US sunscreens are subjected to more vigorous testing, which means that often the ingredients that are found in many European sunscreens (like Tinosorb products, which is what helps give this sunscreen such high UVA protection) are tied up in red tape so are currently illegal for use in the US. If you want to read more about this, then I recommend this article.

Anyway, the high level of protection from UVA rays is the reason I purchased this sunscreen. It was a whopping PPD level of 42! I purchased mine from Escentual, when it was on offer, but it is currently on their website at £15. Keep your eyes open though, as they often have all the French pharmacy products on a 1/3 off sale.

What do I like about this sunscreen?
• It has a high SPF and a very high PPD level
• It leaves no white cast on the skin
• It can be purchased online very easily and found in some stores

What don't I like about this sunscreen?
• It leaves my skin incredibly greasy

Let's take a look
Here's the same amount that I applied.
And another incredibly flattering photo of my naked face before application.


After immediate application of the 1/4 tsp of sunscreen.
So, quite greasy as you can see. Let's give it 5 minutes and see how it sinks in...


Hmmmm... as you can see, I'm still pretty greasy. 


So who wins?
I really, really wanted the Bioderma to win, I really did. With that sunscreen I know that I am getting a stonking PPD level of 42, whereas with the Biore one all I know is that it is over 16. Plus, it's easier forme to get my hands on here in the UK, and I know that I won't have to wait a month for it to arrive in the post. However, I just find that the Bioderma Photoderm leaves my skin so greasy. My skin is already on the oily side, so this is just way to much for me. My make up doesn't sit very well over the top, and by the afternoon my face is a slippy mess. The Biore Perfect Face Milk is so much nicer for my particular skin, it leaves it matte and its a perfect base for make up. Biore is the sunscreen that I reach for every day, and it makes me forget that I'm wearing sunscreen. With the Bioderma I am painfully aware that I have something on my face.

TLDR: If you're an oily girl like me, Biore Perfect Face Milk will leave you matte and protected all day. Bioderma Photoderm is what I will reach for when I'm on holiday and want to up my protection, but for everyday wear, Biore Perfect Face Milk has my back.



2 comments:

  1. Hi, just discovered your blog very nice. I have the biore sunscreen and until now it performs better than any western brand. Also, you must know that japanese PA++++ is equal to PPD 16 and above, so the Biore sunscreen could be higher than 16. So even if you have a PPD 30 sunscreen form japan it will be labelled as PA++++. But very high PPD are mostly not cosmetic friendly and a PA++++ is probably enough if you reapply :)

    Kbeauty.bymaya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I just discovered your blog too, hehe. Thank you so much for putting up pictures of how your skin looks with the full, correct amount applied! This post has saved me so much trouble, so thank you so so so much for going out of your way to do that!

    ReplyDelete